A termite infestation is one of the worst things that can happen to homes and businesses. It's a costly problem and one that could lead to remodeling depending on the severity. If you want to keep termites out, or take care of a current infestation, WinProOnline has some tips, advice and information to get you started.
Types of Termites
There are several different species of termites, but we'll focus on the most common types here in the U.S. They're found above ground and beneath the soil and look similar to ants to the untrained eye. A termite's body is quite wider than an ants, as is the head. Some people often mistake termites for flying ants since some species also have wings.
Here you'll find four of the most common termites found invading residences, businesses, outdoor structures and other sites:
Subterranean termites: While these termites remain mostly under the soil, they build mud tubes on walls leading to the interior structure of homes and businesses. They're a highly destructive species and cause massive damage over time usually because they go undetected for so long.
Dampwood termites: This species is found mostly in humid areas like Florida or the Pacific coast. They infest areas with high moisture, so it's important to watch the humidity levels in structures to prevent attracting them to homes and businesses.
Drywood termites: These termites are often mistaken for winged ants and can be found in the upper parts of homes and businesses. They're attracted to dry wood and may be found outdoors in dead trees and stumps. They can be found along the Southeast and even as far west as California.
Formosan termites: This is a highly aggressive and damaging species. They're found in large colonies and build nests inside the walls. They're originally from China and can be a real problem to treat once they've invaded an interior space.
Termite Prevention Tips
It's possible to have termites in a home or business for many years without noticing them. It's only until massive damage has occurred that they're found, which leads to high repair and termite elimination costs. Here are a few preventive tips to keep termites out before they become a problem:
- Get rid of dry, dead wood across the landscape.
- Eliminate wood contact with the house and the ground.
- Lower the humidity levels in parts of the house or business.
- Don't store firewood against the foundation.
How to Get Rid of Termites
If termites are already found, it's time to take quick action. Depending on the severity, it's possible for homeowners to treat the problem with termite control products at WinProOnline. Some may have to turn to professionals to treat the infestation. We carry industry-grade insecticides for professionals to treat termites, such as:
- Termidor: Termidor is available as a liquid concentrate and a foam. You can select between Termidor HE, Termidor Foam, Termidor SC, Termidor HP and Termidor HP II. They contain fipronil, a slow-acting poison that allows the termites to disperse it throughout the colony and kill each termite in the nest.
- Taurus: Taurus insecticide is available in two types: Taurus SC liquid and Taurus Trio G granules. They also contain fipronil and work as a termiticide and an overall insecticide for ants and other pests. The granular version is for lawns and can help stop subterranean termites before they locate a nearby home or business.
- Navigator SC: Navigator SC is a powerful termiticide for professional use with fipronil as the active ingredient. It can be used prior to and after construction to target subterranean termites and other invasive pests such as ants, spiders and roaches.
Complete Termite Control with WinProOnline
Termites cause more damage than most storms do in a single year. Without quick and immediate action, the damage will only get worse and cost homeowners and businesses thousands of dollars in repairs. WinProOnline has a huge inventory of termiticides and other insecticides to help combat termites and many other destructive and costly insects.